November 1, 2011

Grandma Dot's Bobble Square


























This pattern is a translation that I did from an original work of my Grandmother's. She created the pattern but stopped working on it, and lost the pattern she wrote down. I tried my best, and credit goes where credit is due!

*On a side note: this is my husbands favorite blanket (apparently it's 'his' now) because it's just warm enough. He's the type of person who is always on the warmer side, and he just loves it.


Supplies: 
  • Worsted Weight Yarn, I used Red Heart Acrylic, Super Saver size (any material will do, raid you're stash for a colorful blanket!)
  • Size H hook
  • Scissors
  • Yarn Needle

Pattern:
Block measures 7 inches square.

Pattern in US terms. I took a photo at the end of each round so that if you are a very visual person (like me) it might make things easier. Plus, you can hold up your work and compare if you want (I always do). The pins in each picture are placed in the corner stitches. Also, I got about 12-13 blocks from each skein, it is always better to get one extra skein when trying a new pattern just in case.

On Ravelry here.

Bobble: *Pull loop on hook slightly to make it a little larger. YO, insert hook into stitch on previous round, pull loop through.* Repeat twice more, total of 6 loops on the hook. YO and pull loop through all 6 loops, chain 1 to complete bobble.
  • Ch. 3, join to make ring.
  • Round 1: Ch. 3. 11 dc into ring. Join to 3rd ch. st. 
  • Round 2: Ch. 1, pull loop to make slightly larger (about 1/2). Make bobble where you joined round 1. Make another bobble between the next 2 dc from previous round. Make one more bobble between the next 2 dc from previous round. Chain 4.  Repeat making 3 bobbles then chain 4 a total of 3 more times. Join to top of first bobble in round.
  • Round 3: Slip stitch into space between first two bobbles of previous round. Make 1 bobble in space between the first 2 bobbles of previous row. Make another bobble between the next 2 bobbles of previous row. Ch. 1, 5 dc, ch. 1 all in chain 4 of previous round. *Make 1 bobble in each space between the 3 bobbles from previous round, ch. 1, 5 dc, ch. 1* repeat  from * to * 2 more times. Join to top of 1st bobble in the round to finish round.
  • Round 4: Slip stitch into space between first two bobbles of previous round. Make one bobble in space between the 2 bobbles. Ch. 1, (1 dc, 1 ch) in next 2 dc from previous round. (1 dc, ch, 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch) in 3rd dc. (1 dc, 1 ch) in next 2 dc. *Ch 1, 1 bobble in space between the 2 bobbles from previous round, ch 1, (1 dc, 1 ch) in next 2 dc from previous round, (1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch) in 3rd dc from previous round, (1 dc, 1 ch) in next 2 dc.* repeat from * to * 2 more times. Join to top of bobble to finish round.
  • Round 5: Ch. 4. 1 dc and 1 ch in space between bobble and first dc from previous round. Then continue working 1 dc and 1 ch into each dc from previous round and on either side of each bobble, in each corner stitch do (1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch). 
  • Round 6: Ch. 3. 1 dc and 1 ch in each dc of previous row. In each corner dc from previous row do (1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc, 1 ch).
    Crochet the number of blocks needed to make the size you would like. Each block measures inches square. I made 30 blocks, and 40 were given to me, so 70 total.

    Sew blocks together to create the blanket. The one I'm working on is 7 blocks by 10 blocks, makes a nice throw size.
























    Edited to add: I would LOVE to see any blocks/projects you create with this pattern! Feel free to join & share in my Flickr group: Your Lyanna Jean Designs.

    Just a reminder, my patterns are for your personal use and enjoyment only. They have not been tested, so if you find an error feel free to let me know at lyannajeandesigns@gmail.com.

    Linked up with:

    Tip 
Junkie handmade projects

    18 comments:

    1. It's very beautiful and so lovely that you are able to finish off where your Grandmother started. Best wishes, Tammy

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks, it was great to work on a project that my grandmother worked on! I love her and her work.

      ReplyDelete
    3. This is gorgeous. What a great family heirloom.
      Jeannette

      ReplyDelete
    4. Looks fantastic! And it's great that your hubby adores it! Great job!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Beautiful. I really need to crochet more. Would love for you to stop by and link up to More the Merrier Monday.
      Jamie
      http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    6. This is so pretty. i bet it would look smashing in a pink or yellow.
      Rose

      ReplyDelete
    7. I noticed some writing off to the right sde of the pictures that did not show up when I printed the pattern. Yo said the blocs measure and then the rest was cut off. What are the measuremets of the blocks?

      ReplyDelete
    8. Sorry Dorlis, I don't believe I put the block size. It is 7 inches square, I'll be sure to add it to the pattern. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    9. I LOVE this square...thank you so much!

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks for sharing, I am linking up to this on my blog as part of a 'Granny a Day' project. I hope that is okay
      Jo :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. I FIND THIS CREATION SO BEAUTIFUL, THAT I CANNOT HELP MYSELF BUT TO THINK: I WOULD LOVE TO USE THIS CREATION AS PART OF A BRIDE'S GOWN.

      ReplyDelete
    12. This is a beautiful pattern. I love crocheted afghans as bedspreads. Thank you for this pattern

      ReplyDelete
    13. What a beautiful pattern thanks so much for sharing!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Love the pattern. But don’t know the bobble stitch. Can you help?

      ReplyDelete
    15. Absolutely!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLneFuOXt8

      Here's a link to a youtube video that does the type of bobble that I use in this pattern, the only difference is that I only yarn over and pull through 4 times (not 5).

      ReplyDelete
    16. It's a long time since I made my last granny squares blanket... you have to 'invest' so much time in them but this square has stolen my heart! I MUST crochet at least a throw... love it, really. Thank you so much for sharing, Lyanna :), <3

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...